The best chiropractic care plan is built on healthy habits.
The work we do with you, in-person, at our facility is an important part of achieving your wellness goal. As chiropractors, however, we believe that educating you and teaching you how to care for your own health outside of our offices is powerful as well.
As you go about your daily routine, try to keep these tips in mind:
- Standing – Posture matters! Avoid slouching, so square your shoulders, lift your chin, and take the slump out of your back. If your work or hobbies mean that you have to stand for long periods of time, wear supportive shoes.
- Sitting – Posture is important when you are seated as well, and an ergonomic chair can help, but you should also be sure to set your back against the chair and to have your feet on the floor (no crossing our legs!). After 20 minutes, get up and stretch or at the very least walk around.
- Lifting – Proper form matters just as much around the house as it does in the gym. Lift with your knees, bending them instead of your back, and ask for help if an object is too heavy or shaped in such a way that it prevents you from using proper form.
- Telephone – Whether you are looking down at your phone to text or pinching the phone between your ear and shoulder as you talk, this repetitious strain can lead to serious alignment problems. Try to use a hands-free option and to hold your phone higher if you have to text.
- Resting – Proper posture matters when we are resting or sleeping. If you fall asleep without the proper neck support, you can wake up with aches and pains or make a small alignment problem worse. Use comfortable pillows and invest in a supportive mattress.